Monday, February 4, 2008

Things Fall Apart: Chapter 8

This is the most shocking chapter that I have read so far. I never could of guessed that Okonkwo would be so affected by Ikemefuna's death as he was. Okonkwo could not stop thinking about Ikemefuna. It even gets to the point where he has not eaten in two days, and he also starts to question when he became a like a woman. The one thing that I think made it so hard for Okonkwo was that it was the season of rest. So he has absolutely nothing to do that could possible take his mind off Ikemefuna. To help Okonkwo he goes and talks to his friend Obierika and their meeting helps Okonkwo greatly. One thing that I found interesting was the whole bride thing. I just thought that it was really weird that they would trade broomsticks or cowaries. So at the end of this chapter I believe that Okonkwo is feeling much better about the whole Ikemefuna situation.

2 comments:

the sheeman said...

Kurt, your insensitivity is astounding. A teaspoon would have more sympathy for the last chapter. the dude should be miserable and yuo are all like yay hes over it good he was moping too much aanyway. I will admit the broomstick part was interesting, but the whole section seemed kinda perverted to me.

Joe King said...

I think Okonkwo is an idiot it's totally his fault that he feels this miserable because he wants to protect his image for the rest of the village. He is probably the most cold-hearted person I've ever seen or heard about. Completely insensitive and a complete idiot.