Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Things Fall Apart: Chapter 16

This chapter starts out with Obierika returning once again to the village of Mbanta to talk to Okonkwo. As he is walking through the village he sees Nwoye with Christian missionaries and decides to talk to Okonkwo about it. Okonkwo refuses to talk to him about Nwoye and I believe that it is because he is very disappointed in Nwoye for talking to the Christian missionaries. Since Okonkwo will not talk about Nwoye, Obierika talks to Nwoye's mother about it. She tells him that they showed up and was telling them about how they should accept the one real god and stop believing in their false gods. Basically, everyone in the village laughs at them and just calls them crazy. I guess if I was there and I was taught that there was more than one god, I would probably call them crazy to. Some how Nwoye some what believes the missionaries because he says that it explains the death of Ikemefuna and the twin newborns. Once again I really do not know where this book is going. My best guess is that Nwoye will convert to Christianity.

2 comments:

xoxsara said...

I think believing in multiple gods is crazy. I just think it is so stupid how they act and how they think the littlest things will make the god mad.

the sheeman said...

The whole society is weird to us. it is called culture shock. anyway i think the missionaries are going to get a big following very quickly.