Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Book of the Dead

Out of the three shorty stories I have read so far, I have still liked Rules of the Game the best. Book of the Dead was a very strange book. Ms. Bienaime makes this statue of what she thought her father looked like while he was in jail. To Ms. Bienaime's surprise, someone becomes interested in buying the statue from her. Since the beginning of this story I have sensed that Ms. Bienaime's father is not who he says he is. Well, anyway, one day Ms. Bienaime wakes up to find her dad and the statue missing. From what it sounds like, her father must of been missing for some great period of time because she went to the police about it. I thought that it was kind of funny when her mother called and yelled at her for not keeping track of her father. I believe that this situation shows how childish her father actually is. Eventually her father returns, and as soon as her father walked through the door she asked where the statue is. He tells her to follow him, and he will show her. He leads her to this bench beside a pond where they sit down and he tells her that the statue is in the water. Throughout Ms. Bienaime's life she believes that her father was tortured in prison, when he was actually was the one doing the torturing. He also then begins to tell her that he was not good enough to have such a good statue of himself. At this point, I am a little bit confused and mad. I am confused because I thought he was the one tortured and why would he throw the statue in the water. I am mad because of how he tortured the prisoners and how he threw the statue in the water. That was none of his business to get rid of that statue. If I was Ms. Bienaime, I would be furious. I just do not understand why he thought he had the right to get of the statue when it was not even his. Her daughter was about to sell her first statue. I also felt bad for the people who where suppose to get the statue because it sounded like the daughter really wanted it for her dad. Even though that is not going to happen now because of Ms. Bienaime's selfish father. It just makes me mad.

1 comment:

Cody Williams said...

What would you do if you woke up and your dad was not in your room? I would think nothing of it. I think that She definitely overreacted to this situation. To me it isn't odd for someone to go off on a walk, or out to breakfast or something. Did you think that it was weird that the narrator of the story was a girl? Being a guy, I do not read a lot of girl books. I didn't expect it to be a girl. I was also angry at her father. Do you think he should have told her earlier in her life? Or do you think he shouldn't have told her at all? That can seriously change the whole father-daughter relationship.