Thursday, February 21, 2008

Rules of the Game

Rules of the Game is a so much better short story than The Life You Save May Be Your Own in my opinion. In this short story, a young girl named Waverly Place Jong falls in love with the game of chess. First off, I would hate my parents if they named me after a street. Naming your kid after a street is just horrible. The street she was named after was not even a cool street name. Well anyway, back to the story. Waverly first encounters the game when her brothers get a chess set for Christmas. She watches her brothers play and she just falls in love with the game, so she starts to play the game against her brothers. Eventually she gets to good for her brothers and then begins to search for more people to play against. Waverly gets so good that she ends up being like 490 points away from Grand Master status at the age of I believe nine. I enjoyed this story much better than the first one that I read mostly because I like to play chess myself. Chess is a very challenging game because you always have to be predicting what your opponent is going to do next, so you always have to be playing the game at an almost futuristic view. What I mean by that is you have to be playing as thought your defending/attacking against your opponents next/future moves. The only thing that I did not like about this story is when Waverly's mother is always bragging/showing off Waverly to other people because she has a child prodigy on her hands, and eventually Waverly catches on to what her mother is doing and in a way begins to despise her. I can not blame Waverly for despising her mother because of what she did. If my parents used me as a way to show off like that, I would be mad as well.

3 comments:

Sam R said...

I agree that this story was much better than the first one, and I would also hate to be named after my street. That would make me think that my parents were too pathetic and lazy to come up with something else to call me. I thought it was crazy that Waverly was so amazing at chess and she was barely nine years old. The only way I can play chess is in the virtual games that tell you all the spaces you can move to. I thought that was rude of her mother, too, because she just wanted to make a name for herself in the community. It would be different if she was doing this for Waverly's benefit, but she is not. Telling everyone that she is Waverly's mother is just bragging that she has a gifted child, nothing else. I thought that the story ended weird, though, with her playing an imaginary chess game with her mom in her mind. I thought it was weird that she related everything to chess.

Sam Bly is Fly! (i dont care what cody or tyler think) said...

It is annoying when your parents or relatives try to use you as a trophy. But I thought that Meimei, Waverly, took it a little too far and was a little dramatic when she just ran away and sat a plastic bucket for two hours. It was deffinately better than "The Life You Save May Be Your Own." That story was just stupid.

samblyisnotfly said...

This story was much better then "The life you save may be your own", as everybody else has said. I found it very weird also that she was named after her street, who in the world does that? Her mother made me very mad. You can brag about your kid to a certain point, but she just takes it to an extreme and it just gets really annoying. I also thought that Waverly was being ridiculous when she ran away and sat on that bucket forever. That is the dumbest thing I ever heard of, but I guess she is only a kid and I am sure i have done some things that are dumber.