Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Mythology of Hinduism #3

Wow, lol, I had no idea what this guy was talking about at all. Just from hearing this man talk, he must be brilliant because he had such an in depth view at Hinduism, that I could not comprehend what he was saying. Alan used many comparisons to link Hinduism to everyday life. He also talked about how the west and eastern sides differed. The western side believes that the world was constructed by one god long ago. The eastern side believes that god is still creating and will continue to be create things for as long as this world lives. Alan also went on about this "self" thing, which I once again had no idea of what he was talking about. I mean why could he not just talk about the "self" thing without bringing all of this comparison stuff into it. I think that if he would just talk about things normally then maybe it would be easy to understand. Though, the one thing that I disagreed with was the angel thing. Angels fly because they have wings lol, not because they think of themselves lightly. Of course, I understand that I am not going to understand the whole concept of Hinduism in a sixteen minute podcast and that it would take much more time. Overall, I thought the podcast was interesting, though, I believe that I understand stuff better by taking notes in class.

2 comments:

Joe King said...

Haha no crap angels fly because they have wings Kurt. I had to think about this stuff from a whole different angle and it helped me understand it better. Listening to it more than once also helps, but I agree that taking notes helps to comprehend it much better. This seems a pretty advanced views.

Irish said...

As Joe suggests, listening to it more than once does help understand it better. I believe some of you (in class) were unable to grasp some of the abstract ideas as I hoped you might be capable of.

As an honors student, I expect you to be able to look at an abstract concept and reflect upon it without having to strain yourself. People want simple easy things to study, but the real world isn't like that.

Mr. Farrell